Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bitter Sweet

I remember the very first day in late August of 2009 when I first set foot on Clark University campus to participate in a two-week long pre-orientation program, ACE. I was so excited on my cab ride from Union Station to the campus, but my excitement quickly disappeared as I set my eyes on this unfamiliar place. I never visited Clark prior to applying and so I was shocked at Worcester city life versus New York city life. Boy is it different! Although I knew I'd enjoy my new found freedom from my parents and I would get to experience/start a new life elsewhere, I repeatedly told myself I'd transfer out. I originally wanted to go to Cornell University, but I was wait listed by them. Clark was my second choice. However, I'm glad I didn't transfer. I look at it this way: I didn't get accepted into Cornell fully because Clark is where I was meant to be. Despite the many times I continued to say how much I disliked Clark (for no apparent reason) and the many times I came back from break at the last minute because I didn't want to be here (because I'm such a city girl), I don't know if I would want to be anywhere else. I often say to my friends that I've learned to tolerate Worcester and Clark, but now I feel like I've just learned to appreciate them more. I was able to make my own decisions and mistakes and learn from them. I was able to experience a new life than one previously known to me. The longer I stayed here, the more I found myself saying that Clark is actually not that bad. I mean some days are really dry, but that's everywhere you go. You have to make the best out of your situations. Now that it's my senior year, I feel a bit sad. I'm excited I made it through college, but I just want to start all over again. I think I love Clark! I love that the people here are so diverse, not ethnically nor racially, but in beliefs, in interests, in their way of thinking, etc. I love the unusual at Clark and I love seeing people who make me think twice. I can truly look back at myself and say that since I've been at Clark I've changed a lot, both for the better and worse. I'm proud to call myself a Clarkie.

No comments: