Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Something New

While everyone is getting excited for Thanksgiving, I have something to doubly look forward to this November. Right as everyone has finished eating the turkey with all the trimmings, I will be getting ready for a wedding, my grandmother's wedding.

I have very few memories of my grandmother while she was married; I have even less of my grandfather in general. They got divorced when I was under the age of ten. My grandpa was an alcoholic and rather sadly passed away a few years ago without having reconciled himself with any of his children. Oddly enough, my name serves as one of the only memories of their union. My name is a hybrid of their two first names, Sharon and Franklin. Shalyn. (I have been told the story that when my grandfather told his buddies about the name of his first grandchild, they thought my name was Shank because everyone called him Frank.)

My grandma is a really strong person. Only a few years ago, she re-did the shingling of her whole house. She has always been a severely honest person, to the point of being brusque. She loves singing so much she goes to church every Sunday just to sing in the choir. Although she is completely tech-illerate, my grandmother met her fiance online dating. They got engaged over the summer when she moved into his house. They talked about getting married in April when my uncle could come out, but given the unforseen circumstances around him and my great aunt, they called last week to tell us the wedding was going to be the day after Thanksgiving.

My mother's family has always been close. I see almost all my cousins, uncles, grandparents, great aunts, great uncles, second cousins, and relatives once removed every Easter, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve, not to mention at what has become a yearly Clam Bake, our annual week-long family camping trip, and at periods over the summer when everyone is at their cottages (more aptly called shacks) by the lake which we call Camp. I don't think I know anyone who sees approximately 45 extended members of their family on a regular basis like I do. That being said, this year has been a hard one for my family. Death, illness, and general misfortune has been the general theme of the year. Frankly, we need something that isn't sad to happen. We need something new.

Thanksgiving is a time when we're meant to give thanks for what we have. I am always thankful for my family and the support they give. This year, I am thankful for having another day to celebrate with them, a reason for all of us to be happy and together.

No comments: