Monday, March 24, 2014

Robert Karockai's conference experience


Recently many of the graduate students at Clark’s English Department have been attending conferences to showcase their work. Robert Karockai, a graduate student at the English Department, has been kind enough to give us an account of his experience attending the HERA conference in Washington D.C. All of us at the English Department would like to offer a hearty congratulations to Robert, as well as all of the other Graduate students who were able to present at conferences.

Without further ado, here is what Robert had to say about his experience:

 
              A few weeks ago, I presented a paper at the HERA (humanities education research association) conference in Washington D.C. This was my first academic conference, first airplane ride, and first time out of New England. Full of anxiety and self-doubt, I arrived in Washington and took a train to the most luxurious hotel I've ever seen. Immediately upon entering the Fairfax  on Embassy Row (which I learned later was the childhood residence of Al Gore and Jacqueline Kennedy's favorite place to have a cocktail during the "Camelot" years ), I was greeted by a HERA representative, given a schedule of events, and invited to an informal cocktail reception in the hotel lounge.  Within forty-five minutes I found myself in the midst of an absolute Bacchanalia populated by academics. I learned much at that conference, perhaps foremost among them the absolute joy of being in the presence of seventy-five drunken P.h.d.'s. This first evening, sans drunkenness, set the tone for much of the rest of the conference. Simply put, I met an untold number of scholars whom I had become comfortable with and exchanged ideas with them. The conference became the perfect marriage of academia and blooming friendships as it progressed. My presentation went extremely well, in part because I suspect a number in the audience enjoyed my Worcester accent, which I employed without restraint. I left four days later feeling genuinely sad. My experience was so overwhelmingly​ positive that I plan to search for another conference in another part of the country as soon as I can afford to attend one. Thanks to Prof. Lisa Kasmer for teaching me to write and present a conference paper; Prof. Meredith Neuman for her almost supernatural ability to point out the exact sources I needed to add to improve my paper, and Prof. Peggy Korcoras for introducing me to the beauty and complexity I found within Hawthorne's short stories.

                                              Yours,

                                                  Robert Karockai  M.A. candidate

 

No comments: