Friday, February 7, 2014

C25K Challenge


In my three and a half years here at Clark, not once had I ever been to the Kneller Athletic Center. That is…up until 3 weeks ago, I’d never been. Now, I find myself going regularly, and even wishing that I’d gone in previous years.

About three weeks ago, I decided to take up the Couch to 5K Challenge. It really was a fluke decision. A sort of halfhearted attempt at a New Year’s resolution. In the summer, I love to go hiking as I live pretty close to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. So I’m not totally inactive. But during the winter season and while I’m away at college, I’m pretty inactive overall.

The first time I went, I was pretty nervous actually. I’d never been to a gym before, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I was feeling pretty self-conscious. Although given how warm of an atmosphere the Clark Community is in general, I’m not sure why I was so hesitant. Because, just like the rest of this welcoming campus, the gym was no different.  

Everyone at the gym was very friendly and welcoming. Even the people at the front desk when you check in! The machines inside are all wonderful and varied. There are so many options. They have tv’s up with CNN and ESPN on. All of the machines have an option for you to plug your headphones into them so you can listen to the programs. There are plenty of people who sit on the cycle machines and read at the same time. Lots of people listening to music. Everyone is so focused on their own workouts that it really leaves you the space to try out new machines for the first time and get comfortable with the environment without feeling judged.

For now though, I’ve got my eyes on the treadmills! 

What I like about the Couch to 5K Challenge is how flexible it is to my schedule. Each session only takes about half an hour to complete, three times a week. So it’s not impossible to find the time to still go, despite my busy schedule. You get to determine your own speed while jogging/walking as well. The average recommended speed is running at 6mph and walking at 3mph. But the program is not so much concerned with speed as it is on increasing the time and distance you spend running. Therefore you can readily set your own pace. Go slow if you need to, and steadily increase when you feel you can. There’s a lot of freedom and fluidity to the program, as you are the one to set your pace and choose when you go. 

Although, with all of the freedom and liberty that’s granted to run at your own pace, you really have to be sure to commit yourself to doing the workouts as best you can. Sometimes I find myself missing the days of having a coach to yell at me. “Come on Cyr, you can do better than that! Take an extra lap!” Self-policing is key. 

One time, I did manage to sort of psych myself out and convince myself to quit the workout. I left feeling pretty discouraged. But decided to go back again the next day and ended up surpassing my running goals. Guess it really is true what they say about you being your own worst enemy! So along with finding the time and energy to go to the gym every week, motivation and inspiration can be just as important!

On that note, being the English Major that I am, I like to motivate myself while I'm running by imagining different scenarios as to why I’m running. My favorites so far have been picturing that I’m certain characters from different books. So maybe I’m Octavia Butler’s Lilith, running away from aliens in a post-apocalypse society. Or maybe I’m Hermione Granger, running after Scabbers in the dark and dodging the Whomping Willow. Oh the possibilities.


 

No comments: