Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Loomings

Since it is the day after Labor Day, there's a hint of coolness in the air (though extended weather report says hot and humid by the end of the week), and, most importantly, the University has re-opened its doors to another fall semester, it's time to begin the Clark English Blog.

Although, if you check my interview on the English Department web site, I have been dipping into various blogs over the last 18 months to get a sense of the narrative features of these phenomena, it's clear that the best way of researching is doing: and so I'm starting in. Here's my thinking:

This blog is basically belongs to the English Department, and although I will be the chief poster, I invite everyone and any0ne to contribute. As soon as I figure out and explore some of the useful features of this technology, I'll try them out periodically in order to increase the traffic.

I'd like to see as much commentary as possible: within and without the English Department , its graduate students, its majors and minors, as well as faculty and staff. The subjects are open: whatever concerns, personal and/or academic, might move one to comment. I see this as the opening for a community, a gathering place for opinion and observation, centered around Clark people, curricula and events--though mention of the Red Sox might creep onto the screen. . . .

This blog does not serve the same purpose as Blackboard, though perhaps some of the same general concerns may be posted--just not class readings and assignments.

Finally, I hope this blog will offer some insight into the informal workings of the Clark English Department for all those prospective students who might consider attending this university. Certainly you too can ask questions and get a flavor of our conversation.

This post, then, is the opening and welcoming salvo: welcome back to Clark students and faculty; and welcome to all those first-years who are just now making the transition to the intimidating but ultimately fascinating world of college.

Jay

1 comment:

Tracy Walsh said...

I may have graduated, but now I never, ever have to leave the English department. Thanks, Web 2.0!

Tracy