Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday Evening

Humph. Sunday night. Why do weekends fly by so fast? There I was, driving back after the marvelous Friday night pot-luck, thinking that this great swath of time was laid out at my feet, and now. . . . Speaking of which, Betsy has promised to post some of her photos of the soiree, so all of the grad students can see what they look like candidly. As well as the faculty. Anyway, I hope the left-over food found its way to deserving and discriminating palates. I also hope someone scammed with the rest of the parmesan cheese I brought; it's damn good stuff and will prime a pasta presentation in no time.

Elvis the cat seems to want to say hello: kl;;; Oh well, a feline of few words. He's more interested in the mouse.

Maybe I did get something done this weekend, though. MA theses, check. Seminars prepared, check (well, sort of--I did review some stuff). Dog walked, check. Daughter and son-in-law moved all their stuff from the basement, check (Woo-hoo!). RPI football game won, check (but Colin didn't play, boo). Red Sox won, check. Patriots steam-rolled the Jets, check (108-yard kickoff return? You're kidding me. NFL record. Hell, the longest return possible is 109 3/4 yards--the end zone is only 10 yards deep!). Yankees won, boo. It could very well be the Red Sox-Yankees in the ALCS once again. Not good for my heart rate.

If any of my honors and directed readings students come upon this entry, I have to apologize in advance if I've double-booked anyone. I'm promising myself that I will discover what Daily Planners are and try to abide by them.

Looking forward to another week--a busy one at that. I hope many of you can start conversations here and contribute to others. I'll leave you with my signature line for one of the "platform blogs" I'm a member of: "One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives"--Mark Twain. Seems to me to be an appropriate observation for these perilous political times.
Jay

No comments: