Thursday, February 23, 2012

Spring Semester Woes and Other Random Thoughts

Has anyone noticed that Spring Semester always goes by in a blink of an eye? Not that Fall semester doesn’t, but in my case Spring semester doesn’t really start before it’s over. Now we are a week from Spring break and after Spring break it feels like 2 weeks and then finals. Scary thing time! And as a Junior I am feeling t his rush of time more than ever. In around two months I’m a senior. And as a senior I have to start thinking about real life. That puts a lot more pressure on this summer. I not only need a job, I need a “fancy dancy” internship to put on my resume. Not only does it have to sound good, but after 3 years of school I want something that would show me what a real “corporate” environment would be like. I mean maybe it’s me, but I feel like all this knowledge that our professors instill in us, has not prepared me at all for finding a job, keeping one, knowing what to do at this job. No pressure though theoretical summer internship. You don’t have to teach me everything; just you know… most things.


Ok so enough complaining. It’s really just exiting. And as the sun shines down on the campus nothing seems too bad. I mean who can be sad when you can wear just a light jacket in February. Oh Global warming you might be bad for the environment, but you are oh so good for my mood. And on this Thursday afternoon with the weekend just around the corner there are not many things that can make me sad.


The English Department is also buzzing with activity. The writing contest deadlines are coming up and students keep dropping off one impressive piece after another. Department Colloquia are also moving along at a great speed. The presentations have been exceptional. The faculty is busy planning next semester, getting ready for finals, but the sun has elevated everyone’s moods. People are smiling and looking for any excuse to take a walk outside. It’s a fun place to be. We’re about to redecorate Anderson House for Spring with colorful flowers and new signs. Come visit after Spring Break and see Anderson House decked out in its Spring Finest!


My advice to myself is to enjoy Spring Semester while it lasts. Treasure every sunshine moment and spend days outside. Have fun, but be productive, as my mom would say. I’m going out to take a walk now with my new favorite band “Iron and Wine” playing.

No comments: