Friday, October 28, 2011

Things Learned in the Summertime (aka don’t let go of the sunshine)

I guess now that we had our first snowfall of the season it’s time to admit that summer is really over. Although some of you might be confused at my delayed admission of the fact, I know that others are with me when I say time is going so fast it still feels like the beginning of September. Now that I am finally admitting to myself that I really do have to wait another 8 months until summer comes back, I thought I would reflect on what summer taught me this year.

Now I know that some of you will be expecting a story about epic adventures or meaningful internships, so I have to tell you to bring your hopes down now. I did not have a summer worth writing novels about. I worked at Dunkin Donuts and let me tell you there are no meaningful or insightful adventures there. But I did learn quite a few things this summer. I thought I would share with you my revelations and maybe inspire you to make your own list.

Daiva’s Incredible Summer Lesson List (in no particular order)

1. Never underestimate the value of a good pedicure. (even if no one sees it in your winter boots) Knowing how pretty your toes look puts a bounce in your step.

2. Smile at strangers. It makes both yours and their day better. Besides we all need some good JUJU.

3. You can never feel sad in a convertible with music blasting. So don’t men who going through a midlife crisis buy one. They just know where the happiness is.

4. Don’t ever tease a seagull. Those things are mean and smarter than you think.

5. Grudges are for people who don’t realize how short life is. Let go of the anger! If nothing else that’s another person to have fun with. Besides “Why waste life in friction when it could get turned into momentum”.

6. Take your mom or dad out to dinner. Now that you’re old enough not to be a brat the conversations are much more fun. For example you might learn such things like your mom was once romanced by the prime minister of Armenia.

7. Respond to rudeness by being excessively kind. Not only to you come out the better person, but you annoy the living beings out of the other person because they can’t get a reaction out of you. And is there a better payback than that?

8. Take every opportunity to cloud gaze. Not only is sitting in the sun just plain fun, but you can discover a lot of crazy thoughts lurking in your head that way. Guess what maybe you are deep!

9. The best way to get over a bad day is to dance it out. (yeah you grey’s anatomy fans I got it from there) You get the endorphins, you feel good cause you worked out, and it’s really hard to feel sad when you’re listening to great pump up music. I highly recommend Avril Lavigne!

And finally….

10. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Or others for that matter. We are all silly creatures. Laugh more! And Enjoy your moment in the sun!

If you stuck with me until the end I hope you enjoyed my wise and deep mutterings. Comment and tell me some of the things you learned this summer! And remember don’t let go of that summer fun mindset. Yes, get into your schoolwork, be responsible but don’t get lost in the snowy cold. Hold on to the sunshine!

Daiva Slotkus Miksyte

No comments: