Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Response to Zach's Response to Difference/Differance

ZB,

I just knew you would jump in in defence of Derrida. Haha! I saw merit in Derrida's argument for difference. I simply pointed out the complexity involved in conceptualizing and applying the same. I suggest that Derrida's argument seems to gloss over the politics often involved in ascribing difference whether on a micro/macro linguistic level or within larger varied cultures and communities. I argue for difference-- be not mistaken-- but just that centres and margins are not necessarily as arbitrary as the undertones of Derrida's argument imply. I still maintain that hegemonies and politics nuance what is centre and what is marginalized.

On the matter of your "slight rebuttal":-), I was not suggesting that sameness be privileged over difference. I know that difference defines all aspects of our existence, linguistic and otherwise. My reference to sameness was one highlighting pattern formation in learning. Learning is about making links, forming patterns as much as it is about making distinctions and finding the loopholes in those patterns. I did say that eventually it is difference which has baby grasp the concept. That what is different must validate itself to baby is not necessarily due to the dangers of grouping as you imply but to the dangers of assuming that what came first is the essential centre and what is being added is inferior 'other'. Indeed, grouping and homogenizing concepts whether in learning or identity formation is as you insinuate, sloppy and lazy thinking which, even for the lethargic, is not always practical.

The very processes of differentiation in involve pattern formation which invariably tap into some level of 'sameness' before difference...although I am not even sure whether chronology is essential to my original argument. Still, you rebut my argument by first agreeing upon the central text of interrogation- Derridian differance. That being established as one fundamental commonality between us (along with the linguistic and discursive tools of interpretation which we also share), you could then express (with your usual eloquence) the points of difference between our perspectives. I don't doubt that difference may indeed preexist verisimilitude...when it comes to perceiving and expressing this, the latter takes preeminence. How could I have seen your argument as different is we did not share a common ground from which to differ? Baby sees human beings before gender; teaching baby "mom" and "dad" is one way parents help create necessary difference in the world of the child.

All in all, I only implore us to consider agenda that may be at work (though not necessarily) in the complex world of differance. I reiterate that it is not simply a continuum of differences, there are centres and margins, invariably affected by specifically what is deemed 'centre' and margin and by whom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes get the notion that the complex language of ?modern? theorists is, maybe, a more elegant way to hide thoughts than using Latin. Especially German theorists of the last century seem to praise themselves that their complex and veiling sentences still make sense - at least on a syntax level. This might be their source for self-esteem, since a lot of theoretical claims are, after all, rather primitive.
Cheers&Beers
CL

Anonymous said...

while reading Habib's coverage Nietzsche I had to think of this song, which kind of illustrates the whole problem in an artistic way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1moiym6-Nk

Cheers&Beers

CL

Anonymous said...

For latest information you have to go to see internet and on internet I found this web page as a
finest website for most up-to-date updates.
Also see my website: funnymariogames